Sunday 2 August 2020

Couchsurfing and Feedback

I came across this record of an almost forgotten meeting which occured near the beginning of my life in France. I was a member of Couchsurfing and it dates from 2010. This encounter occurred just a few weeks after the end of my relationship with a major European gangster/drug dealer/hitman, smuggler and at times loveable rogue. I was sad and lonely and my only social life was limited and online so anyone wanting to visit me was very welcome.

Couchsurfing was popular before Airbnb came on the scene. As its name suggests, you stay at strangers' homes, often sleeping on the couch for free. No money changes hands. You get to experience local living in exchange for maybe cooking a meal or doing some other cultural exchange.

My first experiences of that included a German guy staying with me in Auckland, a French guy who was lovely and spent a couple of nights with me in Pakuranga, and also Frederique G a French lady my age who stayed with me and then reciprocated during my first visit to Paris. It can be a bit hit and miss as it is less locked in than the newer accommodation platforms but you meet interesting, and for the most part nice people. Here is a recollection from me ten year ago and an official online review from Brad who spent time with me during one day and evening.

It's not often you get a chance to see inside the head of someone with whom you have a brief encounter and are permitted to see what they have thought of the time spent meeting you but I have been privileged to have that from Brad. Brad was an American living in Antwerp who visited me in Rambouillet one weekend. I had a great time with him. Here's what he  posted to all the members of Couchsurfing.com. (an international group of folks interested in travelling via staying with locals to experience more of a cultural exchange, inexpensively).

"The real reason to visit Rambouillet,
though, isn't on the wiki page so I'll have to tell you myself. The number one reason to visit Rambouillet is Frances Harrison."

"Frances was such a delight to spend time with. She made a wonderful quiche, (well, okay, all she had to do was heat it up - which she did wonderfully after remembering to turn the stove on. The salad was homemade, though!) She gave a delightful tour of the city. (okay, she walked me from the station to her studio, then from her studio to the castle, which was closed until 2pm; then we walked the castle grounds, got a free carriage ride back to the city center; then she took me past Napolean's son's house; then we had a hot chocolate until the castle was open.) and she even organised a castle tour in Frenglish for me!"


"She also got me caught in a small snow storm and we essentially had to walk 1km back in the snowy dark and I would do it all again."

"Frances - (human; female) a wonderful person who is delightful and loves to laugh (often at herself). She takes care to make you feel at home and she enjoys sharing her thoughts and ideas with you (which she probably copyrighted first, so don't even think about stealing them)."

"This jewel is open, has a geeky side, and has a zest for life. (see also: witty; funny; risk-taker; dream-follower; Rambouillet; Yogi Bear)."

"Frances, what would my Saturday in Paris have been without you? The day was like being in a fairy tale and you were the princess (and we even had a white horse!). Thank you so much! I can't wait for a repeat performance."

I was so chuffed to see what Brad had written. It was such a pick-me-up and so appreciated. I'd been blessed to meet several wonderful people since I'd arrived in France and I made sure I got out and created opportunities to meet more, even if I risked meeting people who treated me badly.

... Unfortunately Brad and I never met again. Life  moves on and each of us moves with it. I hope he's living somewhere relatively safe from Covid19. Though officially still a member of Couchsurfing, I have not been active for years, once I lost my appartment in France, but now I'm thinking it might be good to revisit this, even if I'm currently limited only to travellers currently in NZ.

I deeply, deeply miss my old life in France and the unexpected and fascinating experiences you can have in Europe but I have so many wonderful memories and photos. I  enjoy sharing them with you all. I also enjoy looking back on my written recollections because we often forget a lot of details of our lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, contributions and feedback.