Sunday 13 February 2011

Quietly











It has been another quiet weekend but at least there have been no dramas. I went with Camille to a different supermarket on Friday evening. It gave me a chance to go somewhere new and the prices were not too bad. That left my weekend free to do other things.

Camille met up with me again on Saturday morning to sort me out with some medical insurance. After the financially disastrous hospital admission episode I can't afford to take any risks. Now I'm covered (mostly) for the bits the social security doesn't cover. It's not 100% but it should avoid impossibly large bills for the next 12 months- if I'm lucky enough to stay here that long. This past week I had to see a doctor yet again due to effects of antibiotics- different antibiotics this time. Hopefully, soon I will have less health complications to deal with and the weather is now mostly above zero, the days are lengthening.

Last night I took myself off to the movies for only the second time since I've arrived in France. French version movies are still too difficult for me to sit through. I wait until an English version arrives with french subtitles but most movies are dubbed into french so french people never hear the original soundtrack. I went to see The King's Speech. I really enjoyed it, even though we all know the outcome, because the details are not well known, the casting was superb and so was the script. At the end when you see George and Liz (Queen Mother)standing on the usual balcony with the two princesses it brought a tear to my eye. I sensed there was real appreciation amongst the french audience for the historical aspects and the iconic buildings and places of London. Maybe it's not as pretty as Paris but it has been world-shatteringly important through the ages.

I reaffirmed to myself that I must find a way to stay here somehow- I'm near England/London/ other history and ancestors. New Zealand is much too young to move me the way parts of Europe can do. I want to experience, discover, travel. I've no ideas how to make that happen or how I will ever afford it but, hey, I've got this far. And I need quality people in my life, in my spare time. That's very challenging to make happen.

Sundays in general are 'teaching myself to cook french dishes" days. With no one to see and nowhere to go I applied myself to making two dishes: a reprise of Quiche Lorraine and an orange cake. Both turned out entirely edible but I think I was a bit generous with the syrup at the end- the cake was a bit too moist. Maybe orange icing would be better.

The quiche didn't go tidal on me this time with a smaller pan but I can still see room for improvement. I might research a meat dish next but I'm mindful of not having a lot of basic equipment. It's not easy squeezing oranges without an orange squeezer - just my hands and a fork - slow and messy and inefficient. I have invited two colleagues over for dinner 04 March so I need to have sussed out the menu well before then.

There's nothing on the 'love' front though I make plenty of effort on the internet. Time and numbers I suppose. I'm also investigating if there is a possibility of becoming a part time tour guide in the weekends to cater for English-speaking tourists. I have plenty of recent experience doing tours as well as 20 years ago. We'll see. I've joined a number of internet groups who have 'meet-ups' in Paris from time to time but I need to be selective in what I do.

I've also started reviewing some of my dance choreographies. No serious practice but running things over in my mind. Might even tinker with my guitar but it's all very solitary and doesn't provide a social network. If only I knew I could stay longer, a lot longer I could plan things. Right now the best I can come up with is to save up for an orange-squeezer.

Photos of Rambouillet and a toy train museum

1 comments:

Alison said...

Yep, get an orange squeezer! I like your heading - Quietly. One of the best things about my year in France was learning to live quietly and simply. Nice that your days are getting longer.....

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, contributions and feedback.