Saturday 16 January 2021

Overture

 If something is not working it is time to change tacks. My tendancy to persist against the odds is not always a good thing. Last year was a frustrating year where my attempts to move myself forward into new musical interests just never really gelled. Opportunities were rare and usually not a good fit for me or were puffs of smoke blown on the wind, though it has been fun to be the bassist for the Rolleston Ukelele Group.

I have met some interesting people. I have learnt a little bit about the underbelly of the music scene amongst the older set here in Canterbury. During this voyage of discovery I have identified two things: the depth of my passion for a new musical direction, and the impossibility of 'fitting in' when coming from the outside at my age because that road does not exist. It reminds me rather a lot of my 'road' to France. I was not able to get there by conventional means either so found a 'crack' or circuitous route. My passion for that country increased, the more I tried to succeed and the further down that route I went. Neither France, nor music, have been an overnight idea. I have incubated both over some time, influenced by obstacles that popped up. I've been working on becoming a vocalist and bass player. Neither is straightforward but I really love singing and playing.

For the moment, the duo idea seems to be on hold. Entertainment venues here don't appear to know what they should hire in terms of entertainers, in order to sell food and beverage and keep profitable. Two enlarged and improved venues opened up late last year: the Hornby Club and the Richmond Club (we don't really call them workingmen's clubs now for gender reasons). The clubs are trying out different types of offerings to see what works. This is tough on the current entertainers who are all jostling for an ever-decreasing bite of the pie. Covid didn't help live entertainment, of course.

And then along I come, hoping to find a way in. I started out by working on my voice, strengthening it, tuning up my vocal chords, searching for backing tracks and learning heaps of songs so that my duo partner and I would be ready to go. That's a work in progress as the playlist evolves to include different styles. We've sat in on many an entertainer to see how they are received by audiences and met quite a few of them. Some of them are encouraging of me. My party last year was an opportunity to try a few things out. Feedback was good but we want to be as professional as possible with the right songs, quality backing tracks and nice harmonies. Our duo which is not yet ready to launch may be on hold due to lack of opportunity but it is not forgotten and I'll be keen when the 'call' comes. I've also been gaining performance experience singing at club meetings around Christchurch.

I like entertaining. I've done a fair bit of it in the past, with radio programmes during the Loxene Gold Disc Awards 1972, theatre, acting and modelling and then, much later, several years as a professional bellydancer (mostly a soloist) performing at weddings, private parties, community happenings and corporate events. I was the resident dancer at the Kashmir Restaurant in Auckland.

There was plenty of public speaking experience thrown in too. In addition, I produced a number of dance presentations with primary children when I was a teacher and I am hoping all that experience might be put to good use, somehow. 

The frustration for me at present is my lack of opportunity to sing with musicians who actually know my songs. I turn up for open mic with my chord sheets hoping like hell the musicians know the keys, the intros, the instrumental breaks as there is no possibility of rehearsing. I hope the sound system is working correctly. Invariably there are difficulties. These sort of situations teach one to cope with adversity in front of an audience, to cope with the unexpected so that can be useful, but they don't lead to anything better. I'd like better control over my environment and material so that I can give of my best. 

While there is some market for rock and roll songs, my natural inclination is to sing rock/pop/ modern country and I'm also extending into jazz - just to see what suits my voice and style. Ideally I would like to be able to perfect my songs with a regular band during rehearsals.

The other string to my bow is also in development. I want to be a professional musician. I want to be a regular member of a band. Again, I am coming out of left-field, starting from scratch so it is not going to work if I plug away on my own. I am putting a big effort into teaching myself bass guitar. It was on my bucket list. I am learning to read bass clef again, getting to know my fretboard, learning how a bassist fits into a group. I listen to basslines on tracks now, not the vocalist. Runs, walks, pentatonic whatnots, slap, jazz, funk... I want to master it all. I can already use guitar chord charts to provide basslines, read bass tabs and conventional notation which is more than many musicans can do, to give myself the best possible flexibility should opportunities arise. If I have a question or want a wee jam session I can ask my duo partner John who is an experienced bassist. None of the above will get me into a band at my age. No one will take a punt on me and let me try. 

So, I have decided to put my energies into entering the conventional route and doing it in a structured and dedicated way. I want to immerse myself in bass playing for this year at Ara Institute.

They have a year-long course in music arts which I have applied for BUT...

I must pass an audition, among other things. I will be competing with teenagers who have been immersed in their high school music departments for the past years, being prepped for the audition, no doubt, by their music teachers. I'm old enough to be their grandmother but I believe I can fit right in and handle any difficulties in dealing with adolescents. After all, I have years of experience doing that from teaching youths and uni students in France. I just might be able to show them a thing or two. Again, I was a very mature student when I started my bachelor degree in 2003. I aced it. I want the opportunity to see what I can do this time.

The 'audition' is complicated and challenging for me. I have not studied music theory since 1970. I have had no bass teacher (I'm self-taught in my living room with an amp from the Warehouse). The exact requirements are rather sketchy: two performance pieces on bass to a backing track, one piece must have a 12-bar blues progression, the other a contemporary/other piece; a written theory test; aural tests; scales and arpeggios; an interview to discuss motivations and goals. Is it a bit intimidating? Absolutely yes! Am I nervous? Oh yes but I'm excited too. The opportunity to mix with musicians, young people, improve a talent, make new friends, reinvent myself again and have another adventure - that's a buzz for me. I need a serious focus and being immersed in the music scene will be an interesting learning curve that I want to put to good use at the end of the course. I just need to pass the audition to be offered a place. My audition is this month. Wish me luck!

Photos show me playing various instruments in the past, including providing accompaniment for a corporate farewell function during a pharmaceutical conference, entertaining a certain (pre-infamous) politician and other staff from Manukau City Council at their Christmas function, founding the St Marks School Orchestra.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, contributions and feedback.