Wednesday 22 September 2010

Farewell NZ



It's my last night in Auckland, NZ. The past few days have been loaded up with dealing with cleaning my house, banking and minutiae. Last night Laura and I went to dinner to enjoy some quality time together. It will be such a long time until we see each other again. We went to La Padella restaurant in Highland Park and then Laura shouted me a drink at the Cock 'n Bull at Botany. Incredibly we have never been to the pub together before and I learnt what her favourite drink is.

My house is empty and there's a void in my heart that was constantly filled by Laura and my responsibilities as a custodial parent for 20 years. We've been Mum and daughter, confidants, friends, sharing ups but mostly downs. I hope Laura enjoys reading some of my writing regarding our relationship over the years and the household items I hope she'll get use and pleasure from in the years to come.

I'm tired. My job at Waitakere is over, my home is not mine to live in, I'm missing Laura and I have almost no belongings, free of what's important in my life, free of what's not necessary.

I have no idea what's ahead from one day to the next. I don't yet know where I should go when I arrive at CDG Paris. I do hope the university sends me the info overnight otherwise I'm going to be in an unpleasant situation. Trimming my suitcase down to 20 kgs is a job before sleep and I must fill out my voting papers too.

There's nothing simple about emigrating

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, contributions and feedback.