Saturday 15 May 2010

New friends






What a busy day. I woke up at 8am feeling reasonably OK after my jetlag but no-one else was up so I decided to take some photos and then go back to bed for a while. Suddenly it was 10am and time for breakfast with Pascal, his son Axel and his daughter Rebecca who was with a girlfriend. We drove to another village to drop off Rebecca's friend. The countryside is just gorgeous and the villages with their stone houses are equally so. I love the French architecture - medieval but beautiful, strong and very functional but always in harmony with the scenery.

Pascal and I visited Rennes. The largest city in Brittany. Once again, I fell in love with the older buildings, the shops and municipal buildings. There was a civil marriage at the Town Hall and many markets and buskers. We visited some jeweller friends of Pascal where I explained my father had been a manufacturing jeweller. It was great to be back in such a workshop. It reminded me of the times I visited my father's workshop because I could recognise a lot of the equipment-some things don't change much. After a coffee we walked through Rennes for a bit before collecting Axel from the birthday party he was attending. He seems to greatly enjoy the toy Kiwi I gave him. It goes everywhere with him and seems to inspire a great deal of imagination.

Tonight Pascal will create a BBQ for some friends. It will be interesting to see if I can manage enough French to cope with a French social event. I know it will be difficult to manage with a room full of native French speakers, especially with my reduced hearing lol. Perhaps I'll go to bed a wee bit earlier tonight in preparation for transferring to Plelauff tomorrow.

Each day I'm here I feel I am living in the present because everything is fresh and genial. There is no baggage, only new experiences and good people.

1 comments:

Defogger said...

I imagine you fit right in. Your final paragraph says it all. You are in such a new environment, living a dream that is so outside anything you have ever had to do, the uncluttered, open, free and more naturally herself Frances is able to step forward and have some space. You will undoubtedly love Frances, your experience there, and the people, and they will love you. I imagine that aside from life's little hiccups, and while you remain in the present, you will have a perfect time. Yeah for you!

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, contributions and feedback.